Bundesliga Club RB Leipzig have denied reports that Chelsea have made an offer for Striker Timo Werner, MySportDab reports.
SkySports and other news outlets claimed that Werner had agreed to join the Blues this summer but RB Leipzig director Oliver Mintzlaff has revealed that his £53million release clause has not been triggered by any club.
🗣 RB Leipzig chief Oliver Mintzlaff: “We haven’t had an exchange with Chelsea yet.
“So far, Timo Werner has not drawn the clause, nor has a club sent a transfer contract.”
— Goal (@goal) June 6, 2020
‘We haven’t had any talks yet. Accordingly, there is nothing to report,’ he told Sky Sport in Germany.
‘Timo Werner is a RB Leipzig player. He told us some few weeks ago that he was working on a transfer. Right now, nothing is done.
‘We are focused on the league. We want to qualify for the Champions League again next season. That is the only topic right now with Timo Werner.
‘It is very important for us to extend the contract with him. We did that last year because of course it is important for us not to lose our young players on a free transfer.
‘Of course, an exit clause was included in the contract to give him the chance to leave at anytime.
‘Now Timo is talking with someone but, not us. So far, he has not spoken about the clause, nor has any club sent us any offer.’
MySportDab understands that Werner had rejected a move to Manchester City before he agreed to join Premier League Rivals Chelsea.
The 24-year-old’s transfer is expected to cost the Blues £53million and the likes of Liverpool and Inter Milan Have also shown interest.
According to reports, Werner has accepted a contract at the Stamford Bridge club worth £180,000-per-week (£9m-a-year) in wages.
Werner has scored 25 goals from 29 games in the German Bundesliga this season.
For more Chelsea News read from our Chelsea category here.