‘Majority Of Players Not Ready To Resume Season’ – Willian Want League Cancelled
Chelsea attacker Willian believes the majority of Premier League player are “uncomfortable” with the idea.
Football in England was suspended in March with the league targeting June as resumption date.
The United Kingdom has been hit particularly hard by Covid-19 with 240,000 cases and 34,000 deaths.
“Honestly, from what I can see, a lot of players and the majority, I’d say are uncomfortable with the idea of returning right now,”
Willian told Evening Standard.
“We’re really keen to return, we really miss playing and doing what we love.
But it needs to be safe for us to do so and that’s how we’re looking at it, Our health has to come first.
“So right now, players don’t feel comfortable with the idea of returning until it’s totally safe to do so.
“Our squad has spoken a lot over the internet, via different apps, and we’ve had some meetings too.
Lampard has sent us information about what the Premier League wants to do.
“We still don’t know how things are going to play out, and hopefully, we’ll know in the next few days.
The Premier League is going to have a meeting and then they’ll inform us about the next steps.”
The likes of Sergio Aguero, Troy Deeney and Danny Rose have all questioned the Premier League’s plan to return in June.
Watford manager Nigel Pearson has also voiced his concerns about a possible restart, saying the league could be underestimating the virus.
“God forbid we have a fatality,” Pearson told Times newspaper on Saturday;
“People are closing their eyes to the threat.
“Yes, we would like to restart it but it’s got to be safe and we should be cautious.
To ignore possibilities is foolhardy and it’s about safeguarding people’s health.”
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has previously stressed the Premier League will only resume if it’s deemed safe.