Manchester United Legend Wayne Rooney believes that English football is being ‘pushed to return too soon’ amid the coronavirus crisis, MySportDab reports.
The Premier League plans to resume the season on June 12 or June 19 amid the current Project Restart plans.
Meanwhile, the Championship have decided on May 25 as the date for players to resume training.
But Derby County Captain Wayne Rooney has revealed that full contact training is not possible until the government makes some changes on social distancing.
The former Manchester United player also revealed he hasn’t received any phone call from the Championship or the Professional Footballers’ Association to discuss how Derby’s squad feel about returning to training.
‘I want to train and play again but I feel football in England is being pushed to return back too soon,” Rooney said.
‘The government have said that people can return to work but only if social distancing measures are used in the workplace and that can’t work in football.
‘So I don’t understand: until the government allows for physical contact, we can’t train or prepare well enough.’
Rooney is not the only player to express concerns about the Project restart plans in recent weeks.
Watford Star Troy Deeney expressed his concerns during a video call meeting between the Premier League and the 20 clubs captains.
He also revealed that he won’t put his family’s safety at risk by returning to work and questioned how players can keep social distance when there are like ’18 or 19 men in the penalty area.
Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling also expressed his concerns via his YouTube channel last week and said he doesn’t want to think about the ‘worst outcomes’ when football returns.
34-year-old Rooney signed for Derby in January after his reign in Major League Soccer in the United States but only played 15 times for his new club, before the coronavirus crisis started.