Manchester United Coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has insisted that his defence is good enough for the season, MySportDab reports.
The Norwegian is under pressure to improve his squad after losing their first Premier League match of the season to Crystal Palace at Old Trafford.
So far, Manchester United have only signed Dutch midfielder Donny van de Beek to bolster the squad.
But, fans are concerned about the partnership of Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire in defence.
Speaking ahead of Saturday’s match against Brighton, Solksjaer said: ‘Last season we showed how good we can be in defence.
‘Yes, last week was not great. We conceded unnecessary goals.
‘But our record in defence last season showed that with Bailly and Maguire how good a partnership can be. We played very well defensively as a team last season.
‘Eric is now back fit again which is a huge bonus. I am want him to continue developing. We have waited for him to be fit again and play more.
‘I am very confident in the players. We are working to be better.’
Manchester United have a big squad by Premier League standards with some players unlikely to start most games this season.
Asked about the problem, Solskjaer said: ‘It’s not my job to make them happy.
‘My job is to select the best players to get results. It is their duty to be fit and work hard and be ready when needed.’
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has tried to establish a central defensive partnership between Maguire and Lindelof.
However, Lindelof was at fault for a penalty in the 3-1 loss to Crystal Palace and Solskjaer’s comments about Bailly could suggest that he would replace Lindelof in the team.
Other options for Manchester United include Phil Jones, who barely played last season, Marcos Rojo, who is currently on loan at Estudiantes in Argentina.