Manchester City are now the first Premier League club to confirm payment of its entire non-playing staff salaries in full during the Coronavirus crisis, MySportDab reports.
The move to avoid not payment of staffs was agreed last week before officially been verified at board level on Friday morning.
City’s Chief Operating Officer Omar Berrada announced the news to hundreds of employees over the weekend.
Five Premier League clubs have decided to furlough a part of their staffs, with Liverpool the latest and heavily criticised for taking advantage of the current situation.
Manchester City will most likely face a difficult significant financial hit over the next few months but Berrada told their staffs that their salaries will not be stopped.
Those Projected losses have been eased off by American firm Silver Lake’s £389million investment in the City Football Group in November.
UK Government’s Furlough Scheme? – MySportDab Explains
This is when a staff is placed on furlough i.e they are temporarily put on a leave of absence and won’t be paid, although they remain on the club’s payroll, meaning that they still have their job.
‘We can confirm, after a decision by the Chairman and the Board last week, that Manchester City will not in any way apply the UK Government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme,’ a spokesman said.
‘We are fully focused on protecting our people and their jobs whilst at the same time also supporting our wider community at this difficult time for everybody.’
Like other Premier League clubs, Pep Guardiola’s squad remain in talks with the league and PFA over wage cuts and how that money is eventually spent.